A Blog for the leaders at Calvary McAllen

This blog is a place for Lead Pastor Julio to share updates on leadership ideas and developments at Calvary. I encourage feedback and comments as we together seek God's leadership for our church and for His mission.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pastor Joe Gerault's Medical Update

This week, I have asked Joe to share a medical update with you.  Below you will find what he has written:


If you are actively involved at Calvary other than just participating on Sunday mornings, you will have noticed I often use a cane during the week.  I don’t use it on Sundays, mainly because it would attract too much attention to me, and that’s certainly not the focus of what we are to be about on Sundays.  However, my health situation has reached a point where I am going to need to be using it more, so before you were surprised by that, I wanted to take an opportunity to explain.

I am so appreciative of the many inquires about my health and your expressions of your prayers for me and your concern for me.  It’s just a demonstration of the kind of loving and caring church family you are.

Many who were at Calvary at the time remember the dramatic health crisis I went through in 2005.  You can read my medical testimony of that experience here: My Medical Testimony

However, a few months before all that came to light, I was experiencing the early symptoms of a condition that has been diagnosed as Ataxia.  Ataxia is primarily characterized by progressive balance problems (disequilibrium), progressive impairment of the ability to coordinate voluntary movements (cerebellar ataxia), and difficulty speaking or slurred speech (dysarthria).  You’ve probably observed all three characteristics in me.
 
There are a number of problems with Ataxia beyond these three, but these are the most prominent and visible.  You can research it for yourself, but for a simple explanation with a little more detail than I’ve given in this note, I have linked some information here: Ataxia
  
I am blessed that the progression of this chronic condition has been slow.  I’ll probably die of old age before any complication of Ataxia gets really bad.  Most days have their challenges, and some days are very difficult, but I just get up every day and serve the Lord with the best of the abilities He has given me for that day.

Certainly as the illness has progressively gotten worse, my challenges have increased and have become more outwardly visible.  On Sundays in particular, I’m reaching the point where the walking and twisting and turning and visiting with people is pretty difficult.  I get very fatigued, which makes the problems worse.  I find a cane helps me keep my balance more as I move about, and that is why I will soon need to start using it on those days, as well.

I just wanted to take an opportunity to let you know more details about it so when you see me with a cane, you’ll know why.  I appreciate your care and concern for my health struggles, and I appreciate your prayers on my behalf.

Joe Gerault

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. Loving and praying for you.
    Vicky and Javier

    ReplyDelete